About Us

Historical Milestones

Year
1869 Reports of appalling hygiene conditions in the l-tsz in Tai Ping Shan District, where terminal patients without means have spent their final days, shock the public. Governor Sir Richard Graves MacDonnell consents to the foundings of a Chinese medicine hospital
1870 Tung Wah Hospital is founded and provision of free medical services commences
1872 Opening of Tung Wah Hospital
1873 Tung Wah obtains permission from the government to purchase properties with surplus funds in the care of the Registrar General, so that more income can be generated. The shop at 40 Wing Lok Fong (present-day Wing Lok Street) is acquired for 3,420 taels of silver, thus marking the beginning of Tung Wah’s acquisition of tenement properties
1874 In the wake of a furious typhoon that hits Hong Kong, Tung Wah assists with post-disaster work by burying unclaimed remains of victims. This is the first time Tung Wah have participated in local disaster relief
1877 North China is struck by a severe drought that claims over 10 million lives. The natural calamity is referred as the “Severe Drought of Ding-Wu”. The Directors of the Tung Wah Hospital successfully raise $160,000 among Chinese merchants in Hong Kong, and ports of Southeast Asia to provide emergency relief to victims in mainland China. Qing emperor, Guangxu bestows the plaque Shen Wei Pu You (the god protects all) to Tung Wah Hospital in 1879 to commend its fund-raising efforts
1880 The Man Mo Temple Free School is founded. It was later managed by Tung Wah Hospital and become the first Tung Wah free school
1885 A plaque is bestowed by the Guangxu Emperor to Tung Wah in commemoration of its contribution to raising fund for the flood victims in Guangdong
1896 The Tung Wah Hospital is harshly criticized for inadequate anti-plague efforts. The Report of the Commission to Inquire into the Working and Organization of Tung Wah Hospital proposes the introduction of Western medical services and a permanent Advisory Board
1908 The government enacts the Man Mo Temple Ordinance allowing Tung Wah to officially take over management of the temple and its properties
1911 Serving the Chinese members of the community, the Kwong Wah Hospital is founded as the first hospital in Kowloon and the New Territories
1912 Start receiving government subsidy for setting up free schools
1922 The Kwong Wah Hospital sets up a nurse’s training school to train local nurses
An anonymous woman makes generous donations in the sum of $50,580 so that free Chinese medicine can be offered at the Kwong Wah Hospital. Tung Wah’s Board of Directors is deeply moved by the lady’s kindness and goes on to raise another $70,000. The Kwong Wah Hospital thus begins offering free Chinese medicine as part of its services
1928 The Tung Wah Hospital Nurse’s Training School is established on 1 January
The Chinese Temple Committee orders the general committee of the Tin Hua Temple in Yau Ma Tei to hand over temple management and all properties to the Kwong Wah Hospital
1929 Setting up of Tung Wah Eastern Hospital
1931 Amalgamation of Tung Wah Hospital, Kwong Wah Hospital and Tung Wah Eastern Hospital into a single entity named “Tung Wah Group of Hospitals” under the management of one Board of Directors
1938 After the establishment of a Medical Committee requested by the government, TWGHs receives full government subsidy for its medical services and is subject to government regulation. This marks the inclusion of TWGHs into the government’s institutional framework
1941 The Tung Wah Eastern Hospital is requisitioned for use as a military hospital first by British and then, occupying Japanese forces. During this time, the Tung Wah and Kwong Wah hospitals continue to provide limited services
All Tung Wah schools are suspended after the fall of Hong Kong
1944 Toward the end of Japanese occupation, TWGHs experiences a severe lack of funding and can only offer limited medical services. In the face of these financial difficulties, TWGHs Directors discuss whether hospital operations should cease. By December, the Board of Directors decides to terminate its programme of offering free Chinese medicine to the public
1945 As a result of the influx of post-war immigrants, TWGHs engages in relief work and helps the unemployed return to their respective hometowns
1946 Tung Wah Hospitals Hong Kong No. 1 Free Primary and Tung Wah Hospitals Kowloon No. 1 Free Primary schools resume classes
1948 Classes resume in all TWGHs schools
1949 Refugees flock to Hong Kong from mainland China. TWGHs reopens its Temporary Shelter, which soon fills to capacity. Fortunately, with generous public support, TWGHs manages to provide refugees with food, winter clothing and other supplies. Later, the Group help refugees relocate to the Tiu Keng Leng Refugee Camp, Taiwan or other overseas destinations
1953 Founding of Sandy Bay Infirmary (renamed TWGHs Fung Yiu King Hospital in 1994)
1955 Opening of the first Government subvented primary school
1958 Work begins for Kwong Wah Hospital’s massive redevelopment project
1961 Commencement of operation of TWGHs No. 1 College (now named TWGHs Wong Fut Nam College)
1965 Establishment of Wong Tai Sin Infirmary (renamed TWGHs Wong Tai Sin Hospital in 1993)
1968 Establishment of the first day nursery (now named TWGHs Ng Sheung Lan Memorial Day Nursery)
1970 As TWGHs celebrates the centenary of its founding, the Board of Directors resolves to establish Tung Wah Museum by converting the Main Hall of Kwong Wah Hospital built in 1911
1971 Initiate the provision of non-profit funeral services (setting up Diamond Hill Funeral Parlour in 1971 and International Funeral Parlour in 1980)
Establishment of the first youth centre (TWGHs Yu Mak Yuen Youth Centre, which was renamed TWGHs Yu Mak Yuen Integrated Services Centre in 2004)
1972 Commencement of service of the first home for the aged (now named TWGHs David Trench Home for the Elderly)
1973 Start receiving government subsidy for the provision of community services
1979 Broadcast the first Tung Wah Charity Gala jointly with Television Broadcasts Limited, the most long-lasting television charity live programme in the history of Hong Kong
1980 Establishment of the first kindergarten (now named TWGHs Liu Yan Tak Memorial Kindergarten)
1981 Establishment of the first special school (now named TWGHs Tsui Tsin Tong School)
1984 The Board of Directors visits Beijing and meets with mainland government officials. This is the first exchange with mainland authorities since the birth of the New China in 1949
1989 Introduce the first Free Medical Services Donation Scheme jointly with Commercial Radio I
1990 Initiate the setting up of the first well women clinic at Kwong Wah Hospital
1991
  • The 5 hospitals of Tung Wah join the Hospital Authority of Hong Kong
  • Establishment of the first social service building in Hong Kong (TWGHs Tai Tung Pui Social Service Building)
1994
  • Setting up of the first sheltered workshop (now named TWGHs Mok Law Sui Wah Integrated Vocational Rehabilitation Centre)
1997
  • Initiate TWGHs Out-reaching Home Care Services for the Elderly
  • Establishment of the TWGHs Jockey Club Rehabilitation Complex, being the largest in Southeast Asia
  • Organize the first “Tung Wah Charity Gala – Charity Golf Tournament at Mission Hills Golf Club”, and receive enormous support from donors over the years
2000
  • Establishment of the first Integrated Services Centre (TWGHs Jockey Club Lei Tung Integrated Services Centre)
  • Restoration work at TWGHs Tsui Tsin Tong Outpatient Building in Kwong Wah Hospital is completed. Later that same year, a diagnostic centre for cardiovascular disease is established
2001
  • Establishment of the first Chinese medicine clinical centre (Kwong Wah Hospital – The Chinese University of Hong Kong Chinese Medicine Clinical Research and Services Centre)
2002
  • Establishment of the first Social Enterprise (Enterprise Vegetable & Fruit Processing and Supply Services)
  • TWGHs CROSS Centre is established to provide anti-drug prevention, counselling and treatment to psychotropic substance abusers and alcohol abusers
2003
  • Kwong Wah Hospital admits the SARS index patient. Owing to strengthened Infection Control measures, there is no outbreak of SARS in the hospital. In the month that follows when the community is hard stricken by SARS, Tung Wah actively supports the government’s anti-SARS programme by serving as a resource centre by providing consultation facilities, Chinese herb medicine and decocting services for the 2 invited Chinese medicine professors from the Guangdong Provincial Chinese Medicine Hospital to treat SARS patients. A donation programme is organized after SARS
  • Tung Wah Hospital – The University of Hong Kong Clinical Centre for Teaching and Research in Chinese Medicine is set up as the first Chinese medicine centre in the public sector under Hospital Authority.
  • Setting up of the first dental health centre for senior citizens at Kwong Wah Hospital
  • TWGHs Even Centre, Hong Kong’s first counselling centre for problem gambling, is inaugurated
  • Restoration works on the Tung Wah’s Coffin Home begins
2004
  • Initiate the setting up of the first well men clinic at Kwong Wah Hospital (renamed TWGHs Integrated Diagnostic and Medical Centre in 2009)
  • The opening of TWGHs Yu Mak Yuen Integrated Services Centre
2005
  • The restoration project of Tung Wah Coffin Home wins the Award of Merit in the Asia Pacific Heritage Awards, which is organized by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO), and the Award of Honour in the Heritage Preservation and Conservation Awards (2004), which is organized by the Antiquities and Monuments Office of the HKSAR government
  • Establishment of a community college to provide Associate Degree Programmes and Pre-Associate Degree Programmes
  • Engage the Department of History of The Chinese University of Hong Kong on the Research Project on the Archives of TWGHs, giving an in-depth analysis on century-long development of TWGHs and its relationship with the changing society of Hong Kong (a set of 5 volumes on the archival research projects was published in March 2010)
  • Publish the 135 anniversary commemorative publication on the “Research Study on History of Tung Wah Group of Hospitals” on a collection of valuable references of the history of Hong Kong and TWGHs
2006
  • Introduce the integrated Chinese and Western Medicine treatment services for inpatients at Kwong Wah Hospital and Tung Wah Hospital; same services are introduced at TWGHs Wong Tai Sin Hospital (2007), Tung Wah Eastern Hospital (2008) and TWGHs Fung Yiu King Hospital (2009)
  • Start the TWGHs Oral History Research Project jointly with the Centre of Asian Studies of The University of Hong Kong, setting a trend for organization-based oral history research in Hong Kong
2007
  • The Chinese University of Hong Kong- Tung Wah Group of Hospitals Community College is inaugurated, offering associate degree and pre-associate degree programmes in line with the new secondary education policy
  • CEASE Crisis Centre is established with government’s subsidy to provide intervention and support services, 24-hour hotline service, outreaching service and short-term accommodation service for victims of sexual violence and individuals / families encountering domestic violence or other family crises
  • The 14-year old HO Hoi Lam from TWGHs Lo Kon Ting College scores 9 distinctions in the Hong Kong Certificate of Education Examination, breaking the youngest candidate record with such distinguished results in the Examination
  • TWGHs Yiu Dak Chi Memorial Primary Schools is selected by the Beijing Organizing Committee for the Games of Olympiad as the only school representing Hong Kong to join the Beijing 2008 Olympic Game “Heart to Heart” educational exchange programme
2008
  • Become the first charitable organization funded by the Environment and Conservation Fund to implement large-scale and integrated green programmes
  • Win the Consumer’s Choice (Grand Prize) in the “Non-profit Organization, Charity & Fund Raising Organization” Category in the Hong Kong Corporate Branding Award organized by the MSc in Marketing Programme of The Chinese University of Hong Kong and Ming Pao Newspapers Limited
  • Fund-raising work towards the relief work for the earthquake disaster in Sichuan is organized and more than $17 million is raised. Adding the the allocation of $3 million by TWGHs Board, over $20 million is donated for the relief work
2009
  • Establishment of TWGHs Wilson T.S. Wang Center of Integrated Health Management practising Chinese medicine philosophy in preventive treatment
  • Establish Computed Tomography Imaging Centre, introducing the most advanced 320-slice Dynamic Volume Computed Tomography Scanner
  • Subsidized by the government, TWGHs establishes the first Integrated Centre on Smoking Cessation in the territory
  • With grants from the government, the “Food-for-all-short-term Food Assistance Service” is launched to provide food assistance to people in need. The TWGHs Charitable Food Relief Fund is set up with the support from the Board of Directors to provide food assistance to those low income families who fall out of the scope of government’s food assistance service
  • Sign a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) for collaborations on Chinese medicine development with the Paris Public Hospital Authority in France, representing the first-ever MOU of its kind ever signed in European countries with external parties
  • Launch the pilot scheme of “Dying-in-Home” , a new initiative in medical-social collaboration
  • Debut a commemorative film “Merry-Go-Round” for the 140th anniversary celebration of TWGHs and use it as a medium to communicate the TWGHs spirit to the public
2010
  • Declaration of Man Mo Temple and Tung Wah Museum as monuments under the Antiquities and Monuments Ordinance (Cap.53)
  • Receive the Gold Award of Hong Kong Outstanding Corporate Citizen Award launched by the Hong Kong Productivity Council
  • TWGHs is awarded two prizes in the “Hong Kong Corporate Branding Award 2010” namely “Consumers’ Choice Grand Prize” in the “Non-profit, Charitable and non-governmental organizations” category, and the “Consumers’ Choice – Socially Responsible Enterprise”
  • Commission the University of Hong Kong to conduct an image audit. According to the findings, TWGHs is the most well-known and the most trust-worthy charitable organization in Hong Kong
  • Four teachers from TWGHs Li Ka Shing College are awarded the Chief Executive’s Award for Teaching Excellence
  • Setting up of the first haemodialysis centre at Kwong Wah Hospital
  • The Friends of Tung Wah Monthly Donation Scheme is first launched to create a new source of donation income in addition to one-off donation programmes to develop and maintain services for people in need
  • The establishment of the Education Psychology Service Centre to provide psychology service to TWGHs schools and other schools
  • Jointly presented by the Leisure and Cultural Services Department and TWGHs, “Hong Kong, Benevolent City: Tung Wah and the Growth of Chinese Communities” exhibition in the Hong Kong Museum of History is the first and largest-scale charity exhibition in Hong Kong
  • Publish the 140th anniversary commemorative publication to give an in-depth analysis of the relations between the societal changes and the landmark achievements of TWGHs from the Group’s establishment in 1870 up to 1997 which marks the end of colonial ruling of government
2011
  • The Tung Wah College gains approval from the Education Bureau to launch the 4-year degree programme under the Post-secondary College Ordinance (Cap 320)
  • Hope Development Accounts Programme receives the “Outstanding Partnership Project Award 2010-11” under the Caring Company Scheme
  • TWGHs Administration Headquarters receives ISO 14001 Certification for Environmental Management
  • Establish “TWGHs Outreaching Dental Services for Elderly Homes” to provide free primary dental care services to the elderly in residential care homes and day care centres
  • Two Chinese medicine mobile clinics operate on coaches
  • Pilot the Hong Kong’s first Chinese medicine self-service registration and payment system in Chinese Medicine Specialist and General Outpatient Services
  • Merry-Go-Round is elected as the No.1 Film on the chart “Top 10 Chinese Language Films 2010”. “Here to Stay” from the movie wins the Best Original Film Song at the 30th Hong Kong Film Awards. The movie is also nominated for the “Best Cinematography” award in the Film Awards
  • Organize the first “I-Run Hong Kong Special Marathon 2011” in Hong Kong
2012
  • With support from the government, TWGHs launched the Tin Sau Bazaar in Tin Shui Wai, leasing stalls to the underprivileged at a low rate.
  • In the 2013/2014 Budget Address, the government has made provisions for the Kwong Wah Hospital Redevelopment Project.
  • Establishment of the TWGHs Integrated Centre on Addiction Prevention and Treatment to provide multi-disciplinary integrated treatment and services.
  • To advocate the government policy of “Ageing in place” and “Continuum of care”, TWGHs has commenced the construction of TWGHs Jockey Club Sunshine Complex for the Elderly (originally TWGHs David Trench Home for the Elderly), with the support of TWGHs Board of Directors, Social Welfare Department, and the Hong Kong Jockey Club Charities Trust. The Complex will provide modern, diversified and one-stop services to the elderly.
2013
  • The redevelopment project for TWGHs Wong Fut Nam College, TWGHs’ first secondary school in Kowloon, has commenced.
  • The Education Bureau has approved the relocation of TWGHs Ma Kam Chan Memorial Primary School to Fanling and the target completion date is 2016
  • The launch of Tin Sau Bazaar
  • For the succession of knowledge and experience of experts, a pilot ”Centre for Succession of Renowned Chinese Medicine Practitioners” was established to  facilitate clinical teaching, academic exchange and clinical experience
2014
  • “Transpacific Ties Bridging Hong Kong and Los Angeles Through Art Exhibition”, the first-ever tripartite joint Exhibition between Tung Wah Group of Hospitals (TWGHs), Chinese American Museum (CAM), Los Angeles and the Southern California-based Chinese Parents Association for the Disabled (CPAD), allowed public to recognize the talent of disabled artistic and promote social inclusion.
  • TWGHs awarded the Chinese American Museum (CAM) by the Humanitarian Award by, in recognition of its wide-ranging charitable efforts that have spanned in Chinese history.
  • Opening Ceremony of TWGHs Long Love Integrated Family Service Centre, TWGHs Lok Hong Integrated Community Centre for Mental Wellness and iCare Kitchen, and TWGHs Ho Yuk Ching Workshop cum Hostel.
2015
  • To celebrate TWGHs’ 145th anniversary, TWGHs has planned a whole year of exciting initiatives. In addition, TWGHs has partnered with Hong Kong Commercial Radio to roll out a series of programme under the theme “萬大善事有東華”
  • The Race Course Fire Memorial was declared and gazetted by the Government as a monument
  • the “Tales of the Distant Past: The Story of Hong Kong and the Chinese Diaspora” was again jointly organized with the Chinese American Museum in Los Angeles
  • Launch a new social enterprise, WashEasy enhancing employment of people with disabilities
2016
  • Set up the “Rinato Eco Floral Shop”, the first-ever social enterprise floral shop operated by the hearing-impaired, and the production centre for CookEasy, another TWGHs social centre was opened
  • The THGHs Maisy Ho Archives and Relics Centre, which is a permanent heritage conservation centre of TWGHs was unveiled
  • TWGHs Lee Yen & Lee Yuk Lun, JP, Father & Son Centralized Decoction Centre, the first and biggest of its kind run a non-profit organization was opened
  • Carry out the redevelopment of Kwong Wah Hospital
  • With support of the Home Affairs Department, Wong Tai Sin District Office and Wong Tai Sin District Council, the Aurora and Snow Carnival at the Morse Park was organised
2017
  • Fully support establishing an Endoscopy Centre in North Point
  • Grand Opening of Wong Fut Nam College New Campus
  • Opening of TWGHs Jockey Club Sunshine Complex for the Elderly

Back to top