Along with the redevelopment project of Kwong Wah Hospital, Tung Wah Museum will soon carry out large scale maintenance works under the support of the Antiquities and Monuments Office. The Museum will be temporarily closed from 19 June 2016 to 31 December 2018 and its invaluable collection of relics will be temporarily stored in a proper site. While the archives originally kept in the Museum will be relocated to the newly setup TWGHs Maisy Ho Archives and Relics Centre for permanent preservation, the archives service of the Museum will continue to serve the public in the new Centre.
Situated in the Kwong Wah Hospital compound on 25 Waterloo Road in Kowloon, Tung Wah Museum was formerly the Main Hall and the only surviving part of the original Kwong Wah Hospital, which was subsequently redeveloped all around it in 1958. In 1970, the centenary year of Tung Wah Group of Hospitals (TWGHs), the building was converted into a museum to collect, preserve and display the archives and relics of the Group. The Museum was opened to public in 1993 and was declared a monument by the Hong Kong Government in 2010.
Apart from serving the people in need, TWGHs has also taken up a pioneering role in local heritage preservation, with an aim to safeguard, explore, share and inherit the cultural heritage of the Group, as all these precious collections have also reflected the societal development of Hong Kong.
Although the Tung Wah Museum will be closed soon, interested parties can learn more about its architectural features and its plaques and couplets collection from the newly published “Tung Wah Museum Photo Album” and “Catalogue for the Plaques and Couplets of the Tung Wah Museum”.
Since its establishment in 1870, TWGHs has been all along upholding its mission “To heal the sick and to relieve the distressed; to care for the elderly and to rehabilitate the disabled; to promote education and to nurture youngsters; and to raise the infants and to guide the children.” Nowadays, TWGHs has become the largest charitable organization in Hong Kong. For over a hundred years, TWGHs’ medical and health, education and community services have developed rapidly to fulfill the needs of the society and to provide high quality services at low rates. Today, TWGHs operates over 303 services centres, including 5 hospitals and health services and 28 Chinese and Western medicine services centres, 53 education services centres, 215 community services centres that cover elderly, youth and family, rehabilitation and traditional services, whilst the Tung Wah Museum strives to promote, restore and preserve the heritage and relics of TWGHs. TWGHs Archives and Relics Centre has been set up to preserve TWGHs’ valuable cultural assets.
＊ End ＊
For media inquiries, please contact the Corporate Communications Branch of TWGHs at 2859 7453.